I’ve known my whole life that I wanted to help people feel better. As cliché as that may sound, it’s informed a lot of what I’ve done- from my formal education to the reading and discussions I get into in my spare time. I am constantly looking to improve my understanding of what helps people heal and grow.
As an undergrad, I was very interested in the healing power of creativity. I also recognized that healing has to take into account our cultural and embodied experience, leading me to blend these interests into an individualized major at the Gallatin School at New York University. My interest in yoga and yoga philosophy led me to explore further what embodied experience can offer to the therapy process. I received certifications in these fields and pursued a counseling degree from the California Institute of Integral Studies in the field of Somatic Psychology.
I blend my personal life with my professional, learning as much as I can from my experiences and practicing deep self-care. I enjoy hanging out with my husband, daughter, and friends, yoga, playing the harp, video games, and reading sci-fi and fantasy.
California Institute of Integral Studies, San Francisco, May 2013
Master of Counseling Psychology, Concentration in Somatic Psychology
New York University, New York City, May 2008
Bachelor of Arts, Individualized Studies, Magna Cum Laude
Concentration: The Creative Process (art therapy, trauma and gender studies)
Trainings and Conferences:
- Sensorimotor Psychotherapy Level 1: Affect Dysregulation, Survival Defenses, and Traumatic Memory, 2017-2018 (ongoing)
- Keeping Our Bodies in the Room Conference Study Group, 2017
- Creating Healthy Attachment Styles with Drs. Sue Johnson and Dan Hughes, 2017
- Body Psychotherapy and Somatic Psychology Today Conference, 2016
- The Clinical Relationship, 2013
- Psychopharmacology, 2013
- Stephen Johnson’s Character Styles, Center for Somatic Psychotherapy, 2012
- Psychodynamics, 2012
- Theories and Techniques in Somatic Psychotherapy, 2011-2012
- Helping LGBT Youth and Their Families Navigate the Coming Out Process, 2012
- Alcohol and Chemical Dependence, 2011
- Family Dynamics, 2011
- Couples Counseling, 2011
- Cross Cultural Counseling, 2011
- Integrative Restoration, Level 1 certification. Integrative Restoration Institute, 2011.
- Therapeutic Communication, 2011
- Somatics, Society, and Culture, 2011
- Certificate in Yoga Philosophy. California Institute of Integral Studies, 2011.
- Group Dynamics, 2010
- Embodied Anatomy workshop with Bonnie Bainbridge Cohen, 2010.
- Regulating and Maintaining Connections: Faces, Eyes, Voices and Touch in Relational, Somatic and Developmental Therapies with Dr. Stephen Porges, 2010
- Movement Approaches in Somatic Psychotherapy, 2010
- Diversity Training, 2010
Print and Web Publications:
Thompson, A. (2016). Silence, Privilege and Pain. Psyched in San Francisco.
Thompson, A. (2011). Healing the Western Mind through Yoga. In Swan, L.S. (Ed.), Yoga – Philosophy for Everyone: Bending Mind and Body. Malden, MA: Wiley.